Friday, September 10, 2010

Seed mixing

This week the gang and I mixed my perennial native plant seeds with sawdust! This dilutes the seeds and allows us to more evenly broadcast the seed by hand. We will plant this at six of my pumpkin growers' farms in October and let the seeds lay dormant over winter. Next year my growers will keep the plot mowed to allow the perennials to develop their root systems. By the summer of 2012 we will let them grow to witness the types of insects they attract to the pumpkins.
We mixed our sawdust and seed on a tarp and mixed it well with shovels. Ian and I had fun, while Chelsea took the pictures and Scott drank coffee...

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting! I had no idea about of all the types of research that you guys are doing. This is great fun to watch and learn from you. Thanks for sharing,

    Michele
    PS Scott, you were drinking coffee??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michele,
    He was on his lunch break, but he also made sure that I wasn't going to accidentally hurt Ian's broken foot with the shovel. In the bottom photo you can see that his left foot is actually a boot cast, wrapped in Camo duct tape. That's hard to see!

    ReplyDelete