Thursday, September 23, 2010

New member in the ALE lab

Hello readers! My name is Caitlin Burkman and I am yet another new graduate student in Mary's lab. I'm starting here in Columbus and yesterday was the first day of classes, made complete with our own tornado warnings (luckily no damage!). I won't be TAing, so I'm taking 3 classes: introductory GIS, insect ecology, and statistics.

I graduated this past May from Case Western Reserve University with a Biology B.S. I studied moth and cockroach behavior, but am looking forward to delving into ecology. My thesis project isn't defined yet, but I plan on examining disturbance within urban environments and its influence on insect communities. I'm happy that this work will largely be in Cleveland; having spent the last 4 years there, I hope to play some part in its revitalization efforts by understanding what's going on in its vacant lots, urban gardens, and elsewhere.

One really cool aspect of urban insects is backyard beekeeping. My boyfriend's dad has 3 hives in his backyard. Can't wait for the honey harvesting next season!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin and thanks for sharing your work. As the semesters progress, I'd love to hear any updates on Colony Collapse Disorder. It's a concern of mine for "the world" and, on a very personal note, my wife and I love honey.

    Welcome and good luck in school!

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Caitlin. Glad you are going to work on the Cleveland vacant land projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Caitlin!
    Good to hear you're getting a good start.

    ReplyDelete