Thursday, August 19, 2010

All Good Things...

Hi everyone! I’m Bethany Hunt, one of the undergraduate researchers in the lab this summer. Today was my second-to-last day here at the OARDC, but there was still plenty to keep me busy. My main objective was to catch natural enemies and pollinators and then cage them. After making a few stops at grassland fields around Wooster and an OARDC alfalfa field, I soon had collected plenty. Among my detainees were lady beetles, soldier beetles, assassin bugs, predatory stink bugs, minute pirate bugs, damsel bugs, hover flies, long-legged flies, and several spider species. These beneficial insects will be used for outreach at Blue Pike Farm, an urban garden in Cleveland, on Saturday.

Just like last year, I’ve had an awesome summer doing research here! I’m sad to see it end again, but excited to begin my senior year at Otterbein University in a few weeks. After graduation, I’ll be starting my graduate studies in entomology. I haven’t decided where to go yet, but I’m sure my two summers of research experience will prove invaluable to me. I’m very thankful to Mary for giving me these opportunities. It was great working with all the ALE members as well. Thanks everyone and enjoy the rest of the summer!

1 comment:

  1. BEST OF LUCK BETHANY. IT'S EXCITING THAT YOU ARE A SENIOR. LOTS TO LOOK FORWARD TO AND PROBABLY MANY DECISIONS TO MAKE.

    ReplyDelete