Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Insect of the Week


14-spotted lady beetle (Propylaea quatuordecimpunctata)

This is an exotic species of lady beetle. We have seen populations of the 14-spotted lady beetle increasing as populations of native lady beetles have been decreasing. It is still too early to tell whether or not this species is a factor for the decrease of native species'

Native to Europe, this lady beetle was probably accidentally introduced to North America by shipping in the St. Lawrence Seaway in the late 1960's.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting...I don't think I have seen one, I will be on the lookout. Are they found in Northern MI?
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chels, are they beneficial in any way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele,

    I have seen them in East Lansing in soybean fields. They can probably be found in Northern Michigan, but since there is less agriculture I would suspect that their populations are much smaller. I hope that helps! If you do find any let me know. A Google search of this species does not bring up too much information, but there are many great pictures online.

    Sue,

    Yes they are beneficial since they prey on aphids, which is a valuable bio control service for growers. But their interactions with native lady beetles still needs to be better investigated. If they have a negative impact on native lady beetles, their beneficial qualities may not be as beneficial as we think. I hope that helps to answer your question!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chelsea! I will watch for them this summer.
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete