Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bee stings


I thought I'd blog a bit about stinging, as many are afraid to get close to bees. The sting is actually a modified ovipositor, or egg laying organ. So only female bees have stings! Honey bee workers (above) die within minutes of stinging humans, as there are little barbs on the sting that get stuck in the skin and pull the organ from the bees' body. However, native bees (bumble bees, etc.) do not have barbed stings. Thus they will not die and are free to sting as much as they like.
That said, do not be afraid when you are in the garden. I like to think of them as lots of little chipmunks (bees are vegetarians) peacefully storing up pollen and nectar.In fact my only experience with a bee sting was a result of opening a bumble bee research nest. As long as you don't threaten them or their families (which I did by breaking and entering), all will be well. When visiting flowers, bees could care less what you're up to...they're busy grocery shopping!

1 comment:

  1. This is very helpful, as I am one of those people who shies away from any bug (or human) that I believe will sting! I'll try to be more mindful of honey bees this summer.

    ReplyDelete